The Post Permanency Family Center empowers and strengthens families who are working toward or have achieved permanency by providing clinical services, counseling, case management, parent education and coaching, professional trainings, a respite program, and 24-hour crisis intervention services. Our well-trained clinical team embraces the whole family: parents who are living with the complex challenges of traumatized children; and children who are navigating what it means to be in a new family.
The community we serve includes:
- Children or youth who have been adopted or had a guardianship petition finalized;
- Families who have adopted or obtained guardianship of children;
- Children awaiting adoptive/guardianship placement;
- Families awaiting finalization of the adoption/guardianship process;
- Families needing post adoption or guardianship finalization support;
- Families who are interested in adopting children or relatives who are interested in obtaining guardianship in the District of Columbia and
- Adults and birth parents seeking assistance in locating biological relatives.
At a recent Permanency Convening, one of our clients spoke on a parent panel about her experience with family therapy at our Center. She described receiving family therapy at the Post Permanency Family Center in three words -“SAVED MY LIFE.” She explained how challenging it was to have adopted three children with special needs, and how one day she realized her life was completely out of control. She then described how coming to the Post Permanency Family Center for therapy gave her the tools to regain control of her life and raise her children with confidence.
Since inception, the Post Permanency Family Center has served over 1000 families, and has an outstanding record of sustaining permanency with only 0.5% of families served having experienced disruption.