About Adoption Home Studies
Adoption home studies help ensure safe placement for every child
The first step, and the most important, in becoming an adoptive parent is the completion of the adoption home study. Adoptions Together offers adoption home studies for both domestic and international adoptive families working through our placement program.
Adoptions Together also provides adoption home studies to families that are adopting through other agencies and attorneys.
Watch our brief presentation about Adoption Home Studies
What is an Adoption Home Study?
The adoption home study is a written document that provides a complete and comprehensive picture of your current life and background. The purpose of the home study is to demonstrate your suitability to be an adoptive parent. Adoptions Together follows all applicable state and international requirements for home studies.
Your social worker, trained and experienced in the unique issues faced by adoptive families, will guide you through the interview process. The home study is designed to be a collaborative and education process in which you will be asked to explore your personal expectations about parenting a child through adoption. To complete the study, there will be a series of interviews, including at least one that will occur in your home. Most adoptive families report that the home study process is very useful as it helps them clarify their thoughts and feelings.
Download a free Information Packet on Adoption Home Studies
What Can I Expect During the Adoption Home Study?
Adoption home studies require you to gather and provide certain pieces of information in addition to participating in the interviews. The complete home study process can take anywhere from three to six months. During this time, your social worker will gain a complete picture of what life is like in your home environment and within your family.
The adoption home study is part of the decision-making process for both the prospective family as well as Adoptions Together. The information you provide will not only help us potentially match a child to you and your family, it will also – with the aid of your social worker – help you decide if now is the right time to adopt a child.
Why Choose Adoptions Together?
- 95% of our home study clients rank our document instructions as outstanding or good.
- 90% of our home study clients rank our phone and email communications as outstanding or good.
- We have been performing high-quality adoption home studies for 20 years.
- Our home study social workers are competent, knowledgeable, and respectful.
- We track your home study and clearance requirements to ensure they don’t expire.
- You can obtain all required training through our agency before placement.
- We are Hague accredited.
- Your involvement with our agency can extend well beyond the home study…we offer ongoing education and support as your family’s needs evolve.
If you are interested in adopting and need more information on our Home Study services,
you can contact us by phone at 301-439-2900.